Thursday 23 June 2016

Inkling Explorations // The Secret of the Rose

Time for another Inkling Explorations post! To find out more about this super fun monthly link-up, click HERE

This month's selection is: Roses in a book or film 

For this month, I chose an excerpt from The Secret of the Rose by Michael Phillips. 

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ 

“I brought you something,” he said. “I know it’s probably not so special - after all, you have them all over the place here. But . . . well, it was . . . that is, I wanted to find one that was just perfect. I went to three shops in Berlin until I got exactly the one I wanted, though I’m afraid it's starting to die.” 

“Matthew - what is it?” asked Sabina laughing. “Are you going to keep me in suspense all day?” 

He pulled his hands out from behind his back, and held toward her the perfect bud of a single yellow rose. 

Tears filled Sabina’s eyes. 

She reached forward and took it from his hand. She struggled to speak, then turned aside, choked with emotion, unable to find a single word. 


“There’s a little card I wrote to go with it,” said Matthew. He handed it around to her. Still looking the other way, she took it from his hand and looked down at it. It was a tiny slip of paper with but two words handwritten on it: Friends forever


12 comments:

  1. Oh, I adore this book!!! Matthew and Sabina are such wonderful characters!!! I really need to re-read it. :)
    This scene you chose for the link -is one of my favorites! Have you read all 4 books in the series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favourite scenes from the book too, Jesseca! When I decided to choose an excerpt for The Secret of the Rose this scene instantly popped into my head :) I love how they decided to hide rosebuds in the box....but I'm dying to know what colour they choose! I haven't read all four books yet, all the ones at Amazon are a little more expensive than I'd like :(

      Delete
    2. Ohh, yes, you really need to read the next book!!! And the 3rd. And 4th. They're all sooooo amazing!
      Haha, yeah. . .Amazon prices are a bit high. ;P I ended up getting all 4 at our used book store, and I think I ended up paying around $3 each book.
      Oh, you need to check out this site! http://www.thriftbooks.com/
      They have them for around $3 apiece, and you get free shipping when you spend $10 or more!! It's a great pace to buy books very inexpensive. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, right, I forgot about Thriftbooks! It's a pretty awesome site, gotta say! :D Thanks for reminding me! ;) Unfortunately, the free shipping is only for U.S. residents... but I think the price of the book along with shipping is still cheaper than just the book on Amazon! :D

      Delete
  2. Aww. This was a sweet passage. I've never heard of this book before. Nice selection! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Miss March! The Secret of the Rose is a really good book; you should read it someday! :D

      Delete
  3. Aww, this sounds sweet! ^_^ Need to read these books!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read several of Michael Phillips' books, but not this one. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a pretty good author, don't you think? ;) Oh, it's definitely great! You should totally go read it :D

      Delete
  5. How beautiful! Wonderful choice to demonstrate the prompt. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bethany! Glad you liked it; have you read the book before?

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! :)
I LOVE comments, so please do leave one! I will try and reply as soon as possible :D If you comment under Anonymous, please leave a name (it can be made up or real, your choice ;)
Oh, and as you all probably know, my family and I are under pseudonyms (you didn’t really think I had a brother named Spiderman or Ironman, did ya? We’re weird, but not 'that' weird! :P) If you do know our real names, please don’t say it in the comment box. Public safety stuff ;) Thanks!

Finally, brothers (and sisters!), whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things
~ Philippians 4: 8