Tuesday 21 June 2016

RJF // Moccasin Trail

Hello all you wonderful people! 

Have you heard of the Recommend June Fest yet? If you haven't, go hop over to Deborah's blog (Click HERE or click on the button on my side bar) Lots of books, author interviews, and other bookish stuff going on, I'm telling you! 

Anyway, I was absolutely determined to get a review up today. Thankfully, I was able to find a book review/summary I had done years ago. From what I remembered, it had been pretty good. Unfortunately, that was what I had thought years ago. I must've been around 13 or 14 when I wrote it...anyway, I am appalled at the words and tenses that I used. Not as good as was imagined ;P But hopefully you'll still be able to understand it - somewhat ;) 

I give you: 


Ever since he was eleven years old, Jim Keath has known himself to be a Crow Indian. He had been raised as the son of an Indian chief and taught how to count coup, throw knives, creep through the woods, dodge bullets - everything an Indian ever needed to know. He enjoyed his life, carefree and always full of excitement. But then the letter came and it changed him forever. Not only does the letter contain words from his medicine dream, it also reveals that his long-forgotten brothers and sister are still alive, and looking for him. Now nineteen-year-old Jim must leave his beloved Indian life behind and hunt out his family. But when he finally finds them, Jim faces hardships he had never imagined would occur. His parents have died and his siblings have changed drastically. His little sister, Sally, has grown into a beautiful young woman, and she hates him the minute she sets eyes on him. His long braids irritates her, the feather in his hair annoys her, and his most precious medicine bag horrifies her. Nothing Jim does can please her. But what hurts Jim the most is the change in his brother, Jonnie. They had been soul mates as boys growing up, now they were aliens. Though Jonnie tries to suppress his feelings, Jim knows that he disapproves of his wild, “Injun” ways. Not so with Dan’l however. Dan’l, Jim’s youngest brother, instantly takes to his long-lost brother and greatly admires his Indian skills. During his stay with his family, Jim tries to settle into the white man’t lifestyle. He longs to go back to his old lifestyle as an Indian, but for some reason, the words of his medicine dream compel him to stay. But when the medicine dream is finally explained to him, will Jim find out that he belongs to the Indians or to his family?

8 comments:

  1. Oh, I love Moccasin Trail!!! I should go back and read it again! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've read Moccasin Trial too? *virtual high-five* ;) Have you read any other Eloise Jarvis McGraw books? :D

      Delete
    2. *High five right back at ya!* ;) My mom read The Golden Goblet to my siblings and I years ago, but I don't really remember it. Otherwise, no. ;) Got any recommendations?

      Delete
    3. YES. Mara, Daughter of the Nile is a HUGE favourite of mine! I did a review on it in January, you can read it here if you're interested; https://countingyourblessingsonebyone.blogspot.ca/2016/01/cinderella-week-mara-daughter-of-nile.html

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting for the Fest!!! :)

    This book looks really exciting! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Deborah! It's super fun; I mean it concerns BOOKS!! :D

      And Moccasin Trail is SO exciting! You should totally try reading it someday!

      Delete
  3. Wow, sounds like a great book. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! :)
I LOVE comments, so please do leave one! I will try and reply as soon as possible :D If you comment under Anonymous, please leave a name (it can be made up or real, your choice ;)
Oh, and as you all probably know, my family and I are under pseudonyms (you didn’t really think I had a brother named Spiderman or Ironman, did ya? We’re weird, but not 'that' weird! :P) If you do know our real names, please don’t say it in the comment box. Public safety stuff ;) Thanks!

Finally, brothers (and sisters!), whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things
~ Philippians 4: 8