Wednesday 21 September 2016

Fitting In // Author Interview

Hello all! Today, I have an author interview with Rebekah Morris to share with you in honour of the release of her new short story which is coming out TOMORROW!!!

To see my review and summary of Fitting In, click HERE.

Add on Goodreads
Buy on Amazon 

Okay, onto the interview!

I just love asking this question. What was the inspiration for Fitting In?
The inspiration came when I was struggling with "fitting in" at church. I wasn't as young as most of the young ladies were and wasn't interested in their talk. I wasn't newly married nor engaged so I didn't fit in that group, I wasn't a mom with young children or a mom with older ones. I just didn't fit in anywhere. I'll admit that one night I was pretty much lecturing everyone (in an empty room) about including those who were "outsiders" and suddenly I realized that I had to go write a story. :)

Oh, that's neat how you used a real-life experience and turned it into a book! Is there a favourite part (reading or writing) that you especially like in your new short story?
Writing the school house scene was probably the easiest as I already knew what I was writing there and the rant was easy, but I think I loved the Leffler's first "picnic" the best. I won't say more lest I spoil it. :)

Haha, yes, 'the rant'. When you've got the words, it all just flows from your pen, doesn't it? ;) Do you find that you relate to any of the characters or events in Fitting In?
As I mentioned before, the wanting to fit in and be a part of some group has been a struggle for me more than once. I have felt those emotions that Elizabeth felt as I tried to fit in, but felt rejected. (Even if they didn't mean to give me a cold shoulder.) I could identify with her even if the struggle was slightly different.

*Nods head* Same here! I've found myself in similar situations before, and it was really interesting reading what you thought through Elizabeth :) 
What’s the hardest part of writing a novel/short story? Finding ideas, editing, etc? 
Hmm, I think each story varies on the hardest part. Some stories just seem to struggle to get written even if I have an idea, others seem to fizzle out part way through and I have to baby them along for a little while. For other stories it's writing the synopsis, and others is getting started. I don't usually have much trouble with editing, as I do that as I go, but a few times that's been hard.

Last question! What is one piece of advice you would give to aspiring writers?
Write the story that God has given YOU, not what you think will sell or be popular, and write it the way He has created YOU to write, not how someone else says you should do it. I guess that was rather two pieces of advice, but those are what I've been wanting to tell new authors.


Thanks for inviting me over, Blessing!

Great piece of advice, Rebekah, thank you so much for sharing! And thank you for coming over to my blog as well. Really enjoyed having you! :D 

8 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great book! I especially like her answer to your last question. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is, Emily! You should read it! :) And yes, that last one is really great :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, Blessing. I enjoyed "visiting." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Rebekah! I was honoured to have you! :)

      Delete
  3. Great interview, ladies! :) I finished "Fitting In" yesterday – enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear, Faith! Can't wait to see your review on it! :D

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading this author interview, Blessing! It’s always fun learning about different authors.
    I bought this ebook yesterday, so I’m looking forward to reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you enjoyed the interview, Rebekah! OH GOODIE!!! You bought the book!! :D

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for stopping by! :)
I LOVE comments, so please do leave one! I will try and reply as soon as possible :D If you comment under Anonymous, please leave a name (it can be made up or real, your choice ;)
Oh, and as you all probably know, my family and I are under pseudonyms (you didn’t really think I had a brother named Spiderman or Ironman, did ya? We’re weird, but not 'that' weird! :P) If you do know our real names, please don’t say it in the comment box. Public safety stuff ;) Thanks!

Finally, brothers (and sisters!), whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things
~ Philippians 4: 8